Two Sides of Entirely Different Coins?
I wanted to write a blog about Kung Fu and Tai Chi after the recent discussions we’ve been having about the differences and similarities. I have never given much thought to this idea before, on the one hand I saw Tai chi and Kung Fu as entirely separated, they both have similar core truths (they are called “universal” for a reason) but ultimately are different styles, or on the other hand, my Tai Chi complements my Kung fu and my Kung Fu complements my Tai Chi, as I develop in either I get stronger in both.
But our discussions have made me start to pay closer attention to how they are different, not just the fact that they are, and aren’t.
From my notes:
The biggest difference between Tai Chi and Kung Fu is Momentum. The way they both utilize the 6 harmonies is exactly the same, and yet completely different. In Tai Chi all 6 harmonies are moving together, and working together to achieve the intent. In Kung Fu the 6 harmonies are moving together and influencing each other (because of momentum).
Tai Chi forces me to have control over all 6 harmonies because the only thing influencing their movement is my intent. Kung Fu forces me to control all 6 harmonies, despite the momentum of the techniques that happen before and after each one.
I’ve thinking about how they both are the same, I just experience them on different scales of time. Everything that happens in Tai Chi should be happening in my kung fu, but because it tends to happen faster, or with impact I am not as aware of it as I am in Tai Chi. On the flip side there are roles that momentum is playing in my Tai Chi but because I am experiencing it slower, with zero impact I am not as aware of it as I am in Kung Fu. Learning about the micro-steps that happen in Tai Chi, especially during the transitions (side note: because to me Tai Chi IS transitions, the “final” strike/block/pose/etc plays a minimal role in what I’m doing and what I’m thinking about) can help me focus and feel them in Kung Fu, it helps me to realize that I should be able to control things down to that level, and not be relying on momentum for some of my movements. Realizing there will be momentum, and ricochet, and mass in my Tai Chi helps me to understand the path of energy better (which helps me to understand the micro-transitions which ultimately circles back to helping with my Kung Fu in one big positive feedback loop!)
|
|
Current Total |
|
Push-ups |
19050 |
|
Sit-Ups |
19076 |
|
AOK |
387 |
|
Km |
1415 |
|
Blogs |
19 |
|
Sparring |
31 |
|
Hand Form |
134 |
|
Weapon Form |
210 |
|
Repair Relationship |
0 |
Comments
Post a Comment