Joint Awareness

I wanted to write this blog after our in-person class but I never got around to it then so I’m finally getting around to it now. I learned SO MUCH during Sihing Ward’s warm up from that class I wanted to document some of the things I was thinking about.

1) When we were doing the exercise at the beginning, just relaxing and taking stock of our joints... I completely skipped over my spine. I have 24 vertebrae in my spine and I skipped over all of them. It makes me have gratitude that I have no pain in such an important part of my body that I didn't even spare it a second thought. However this is also making me realize I had a HUGE blind spot in my awareness of my body

2) When I did try to devote some attention to my back during the rest of the warm up, and the rest of the class I realized that I don’t think about my back in terms of my spine, I think of it as the connection of my hips and my shoulders, i.e. I conceptualize it as two vertical bars connecting my shoulder to my hip on my left side and my shoulders and hip on my right side. This was a fascinating realization! 

3) I realized that I often only think about my muscles when I’m stretching or warming up. It’s not that I’m not doing stretches that warm up my joints, it’s just that for the most part when I’m doing them I’m thinking about how that effects my muscles even as a I do a stretch for my joints. This has really helped me to change what I’m focusing on when I’m trying to be in my body.

Lots of new visualizations to play with, and more levels of awareness! 


Current Total

Push-ups

15390

Sit-Ups

15450

AOK

340

Km

1116

Blogs

17

Sparring

31

Hand Form

133

Weapon Form

197

Repair Relationship

0


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As Promised

6 Harmonies V4.7

Lion Dancing//Sparring