Why Does it Look Weird?

I’ve recently been focusing on a particular idea in my hand form and that’s what I’ve mainly been practicing… in other forms. 

Yesterday other than my warm up rep of my chimaera form, I didn’t do it a single time after that (despite it being the focus of my practice). Instead I almost exclusively practiced the same idea, as it manifests in Lau Gar. I figured since I didn’t really know what I was trying to do, if I worked on it within a school form I may find more answers that I could then apply to my own form.

I’m trying to work on the moment when I switch my feet under me (the jump that’s not a jump, the hop that’s not a hop). I took a video of my form the other day while working on something completely different and I noticed the jumps-that-are-not-jumps were looking really sloppy, so cue the aforementioned practice.

It was a strange problem to tackle because unlike the majority of my practice it didn’t come from outside feedback, it did not it come from my eye for detail setting off warning bells, and it did not come from an application context where I’m trying to maximize power. All I had to go off of was “it looks weird??”

I feel like over the years I’ve developed many tools for refining my forms and finding truths about the way I move, but for trying to make it look less weird, I really only had one idea: make the circles bigger? It did not work (in fact it may have looked even weirder doing it that way!) So after that I resorted to throwing pasta at the wall, the following is a rough translation of my inner monologue:

Try to fall (fall? Or shift, or fall and end with a recovery?), fall (?) with more control, try to fall (?) with less control, try changing how I shift my weight in transition, try exaggerating the expansion and contraction, try internalizing the expansion and contraction, try accelerating during the transition (OOO THIS ONE IS COOL COME BACK TO THIS LATER!!), try taking a million videos of trying all these things because apparently I can’t feel what I want it to look like. WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LEG??? Ohhhhh I have too much intent in my foot, still trying to draw a bigger circle from earlier, but I’m only focusing on the bottom half of my circle, well the top half would need to be my knee, OH MY GOD THE KNEE DUHHH oh WOW that helped a bunch!

So now it looks a bit better, and the idea translates really well into my own form, so problem mostly solved, except now I have a million questions about that move in Lau Gar! 

(Also I’ve been making small steps with my online engagement, not quite where I want it to be yet, but I can feel myself forming the new habits so that’s a good start!)


Current Total

Push-ups

22290

Sit-Ups

22417

AOK

387

Km

1588

Blogs

21

Sparring

31

Hand Form

139

Weapon Form

210

Repair Relationship

0

Online Engagement

4


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Harmonies V4.7

Lion Dancing//Sparring

Mastery 1/20